Mission & Aims
The International School of Lausanne is committed to excellence in education; it strives to fulfil the unique potential of each student in a supportive and challenging holistic learning environment that prepares him or her for continuing education and an active and responsible role in a multicultural world.
We will help our students become lifelong learners; be knowledgeable and effective communicators; be thinkers, inquirers and risk-takers in learning; be principled and open-minded in spirit; be healthy and happy in life; be reflective, caring and balanced in their outlook; in short, to develop and fulfil their unique potential.
We aim to develop an attitude of individual responsibility, based upon the values of honesty, respect, self-control, equality, and care and concern for others.
We offer an international, holistic education in English that provides a strong intellectual, physical, social and emotional foundation.
We encourage our community in education to work collaboratively in a supportive and respectful atmosphere to develop and maintain a school known for excellence.
We encourage students to understand and appreciate their own cultures and personal histories, as well as others, and to be open to differing perspectives, values and traditions.
Our values: the aims are achieved through
- living and modelling our values within our school programme and learning community
- giving opportunities for students to make a positive difference in the lives of others and in the environment through the concept of service
- promoting an attitude of responsibility for the guardianship of the planet
Holistic education: the aims are achieved through
- maintaining a challenging and balanced, well-articulated, well-resourced, international curriculum
- offering a rich co/extracurricular programme
- teaching that encourages active learning, open enquiry, critical and creative thinking, expression, reflection, independence of thought and decision making
- providing a safe and healthy environment offering pastoral care and services to support the well-being of all
- providing opportunities for students to be successful and be recognised for both effort and acievement in all they do
Learning community: the aims are achieved through
- engaging the community in supporting the school, its mission and aims
- recruiting, retaining and developing excellent international teachers
- offering opportunitites for staff to grow professionally
- maintaining an efficient and effective organisational structure
- ensuring clear communication
- providing facilities that enhance the learning experience
- maintaining a school spirit characterised by open, positive and respectful relationships and a sense of belonging
- supporting an active PTA that helps orient new families, organise social events, raise money and support school initiatives
- working with organisations to ensure quality through a recognised accreditation process
Intercultural understanding: the aims are achieved through
- utilising of local and international resources to raise awareness of and respect for different cultures
- understanding and expressing ideas and information confidently in more than one language