The International School of Lausanne (ISL) is a leading non-profit, International Baccalaureate (IB) World School set in the French-speaking part of Switzerland. Our school is committed to excellence in education. We strive to recognise the unique potential of each student, and to equip them to play an active and responsible role in a complex, multicultural world. The school employs approximately 250 members of staff on its campus where we welcome approximately 900 students from over 60 nationalities, from 3 to 18 years of age.
For our Secondary School, we are seeking to employ a skilled
Science Laboratory Technician
Full-time contract from 1 August 2023
- Support Science Teachers with the preparation of practical lessons
- Prepare solutions and equipment according to teaching staff requests
- Maintain an efficient system for the use, the cleaning and the allocation of material and equipment
- Provide advice in safety matters and good use of technical equipment and chemicals
- Maintain an inventory of equipment; source and assist with ordering of equipment and chemicals
- Maintain a safe and efficient storage system for products in accordance with legal requirements and best practices
- Maintain functionality of lab fittings (e.g. sinks, electricity, extractor hoods)
- Trial practical activities, modify equipment and perform demonstrations if requested
- Advise on ethical practices within the science department
Qualifications and Qualities desired
- A recognised Science qualification at graduate or postgraduate level or Swiss apprenticeship level (CFC)
- Ideally three years of successful experience in a similar role
- A background in practical science, ideally in a school setting
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Understanding of and sensitivity to cultural variance
- Adaptability, flexibility, dynamism.
- Ability to meet high expectations of students, colleagues, and a professional parent community
- Excellent ICT skills and a knowledge of their effective use to support the organisation
- Good level in English (C1 minimum); French is an advantage
- Commitment to self-reflection and professional development
The post holder will be a member of the school’s Administration and Support team, and work within the secondary school science department. Taking into account the higher holiday entitlement (60 days to be taken during school holidays), the annualised occupation rate of this position is equivalent to an 85% position.
To apply, please submit the following documents on Jobup:
- cover letter
- CV/ résumé
- copies of diplomas
- copies work certificates / reference letters (if any)
- copy of work permit (if applicable)
- copies of diplomas
- copies of work certificates/ reference letters (if any)
Closing date: 15 March 2023
Due to work permit limitations, preference will be given to candidates having Swiss/ EU citizenship or holding a Swiss work permit.
Why join ISL
Our school is a unique place. We are an organisation of a size where your work will have a direct impact on our community. We provide a multicultural environment where diversity is valued and in which every opinion counts. We are highly reflective on our practices and impact and dedicated to the well-being of our staff and students.
Our staff members form a committed, hard-working, and passionate community. In return, we offer a rewarding, collaborative, and trusting work environment, an approachable leadership team, and a modern and spacious campus located at a stone’s throw from the centre of Lausanne.
We care for children
The International School of Lausanne is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all of its staff to share this commitment. A background check, including criminal records check and/ or police clearance, will be conducted on all successful applicants.
We value diversity
At ISL, all members of our community contribute to creating an environment where diversity is valued. Each individual is committed to ensuring everyone has a strong sense of belonging and feels respected.