Enjoy exploring this page and the various resources for your arrival in Lausanne, Switzerland. We hope these resources will give you a helping hand as you start settling into your life here.
This page is dedicated to providing you with easy access to useful resources and links!
Explore the list below of useful weblinks for your arrival in Switzerland
- The authorities have compiled a guide that gives you a complete overview of the political, and geographical context of canton de Vaud.
- On the Lausanne Guide you can easily find out about the many things happening in Lausanne, events, new shops, restaurants, markets, and much more.
- University of Lausanne city guide
- Living in Lausanne, practical guide
- Expat community guide and website
- Swiss city guides.
You can contact housing agencies directly or you could have a look at the websites below:
(Tenants’ rights Association – For CHF 60 a year this association offers legal assistance and advice should you have any issues with your landlord or property management agency).
- Insurance can get complicated in Switzerland, we recommend you consult Comparis
- It Switzerland is compulsory to subscribe to a fire insurance via ECA.
You can use the following links to find a general practitioner or paediatrician in Switzerland:
Transport and Driving
- More information on the Swiss train services, travelcards and ticketing here.
- The Mobilis fare network covers the Vaud canton and its communes. More information here.
- For more information on driving in Switzerland and changing your drivers license, take a look here.
- This website can also be helpful for further information on emergency numbers in Switzerland.
Shopping over the border
- Find out more about the customs regulations and limitations on bringing goods into Switzerland here.
- The VAT (value-added tax) on items purchased outside of Switzerland can often be reclaimed. Find out more on this website.
Rubbish and Recycling
- Recycling collection containers for oil, old clothing, and metal are available in most neighbourhoods at the so-called, déchèterie.
Activities for kids
- Jayland – Amusement parks indoor
- Swiss Vapeur Parc – outdoor
- The Bex salt mines
- Signal de Bougy – amusement park indoor/outdoor
- Urbakids – indoor for small kids
- You can also take a look at this website to find different activities for families
Below you will find a list of useful applications to use in Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Urgence: List of medical emergency clinics with a constantly updated waiting time.
- PayByPhone: The simplest way of buying your car park ticket from your phone or internet – which means you no longer have to find the parking meter and no longer need paper tickets.
- Fairtiq: The easiest travel card to use in Switzerland, the mobile ticket application allows you to travel anywhere in Switzerland. You only pay for what you actually use.
- Smatch: Helps you practise your sport while meeting new people. The application enables you to get in touch with people based on the sport practised, the level, the location, and availability.
- Lausanne: Breaking news and entertainment agenda. Bookmark your favourite places or events, and make your search easier and more accessible. French only.
- Hotellerie Lausannoise: This app presents all the hotels in Lausanne and surroundings, with an event agenda.
- TL Live: Official application of the regional public transport association. Displays the next departures from your preferred stops in real time. French only.
- Urbirun: Urbirun proposes various audio guided running tours around Switzerland.