PYP Exhibition 2022 (PYPx)
Four weeks of remote learning have gone by quickly. Every member of the community, students, staff members and parents have all done a great job in staying positive, working hard and making the best of this situation. As weeks 5 and 6 will be spent at home on holiday, we have prepared a list of 20 fun activities to do at home, compiled from the members of our community.
Enjoy your well-deserved holidays, share your favourite photos, videos, and activities by sending us an email.
Message from the Director
The end of our fourth week of remote learning. Students and teachers alike will breathe a sigh of collective relief as we head into the break. It is not that teaching and learning cannot be done this way, indeed anyone who has done some distance study knows that it is possible to learn and succeed independently. However if you think back to your school days, while what you remember most may be mastering a particular challenge, it is more likely to be meeting a lifelong friend. Schools are incredibly social, human places and are just as much to do with our identity as part of a larger group as our achievements as individuals.
Today is also the day of the final assembly for Year 13 students. The final days of school are often ‘exciting’ times for members of staff in the high school, despite our students being charming, good-humoured and respectful. There is always a small frisson of worry in the morning. What will they come up with today? And do I need to wear easily washable clothes? In the event, today students will celebrate at a distance and it will not be the ‘traditional’ end of school. Going back to my first point, what will be exactly the same and just as much in evidence, however, will be the collective care for, and pride in, our students. There will be speeches and time for reflection on the way this group of young people has helped to shape the school; the assembly will end, as it usually does, with the premiere of the traditional video that members of staff make for them. It’s not a normal way to end a term but, we hope, no less special because of it.
School Highlights Week 4
Big smiles and hello from all of us!
Second Middle School Assembly – hear beautiful music by students, see great videos, learn about the student competitions, and much more below…
Our Year 13 students completed their very last week of school. Thursday, ISL organised a great online celebration for the class of 2020 students, which included this great leavers video from staff members:
Act of Kindness of the week
The Middle School challenge was all about an Act of Kindness, or a Good Deed. Have a look at some of the great initiatives taken by the students, for example, cooking for their families, walking dogs, calling their grandparents, and much more.
Activities for a Great Easter Holiday
The section below is dedicated to sharing resources and recommendations within the community. Below, you will find all sorts of activities you can complete at home with your family during the holidays. Enjoy exploring art, workouts, ways in which you can help others, travel the world from your home, and much more.
Take part in our ISL Community Challenge
A holiday challenge for you! We would like to ask all members of the community to participate in the whole school ISL Community Challenge. Unfortunately, travelling to see family, friends, to go skiing or to the beach is not possible now. However, it is possible to make people believe you are enjoying a holiday, by taking a creative photo at home. See some examples below, and try creating your best picture/ video. Be as creative as possible, and be safe of course. Share your “On-Holiday” photos by email, Facebook or Instagram using #onholidayISL”.
Get arty with Easter Eggs
- 10 great Easter activities at home for you and your families. From decorating an easter egg tree to making a chocolate fondue.
- The time has come to make the most beautiful Easter egg decorations. Spend the day trying out these 45 different techniques.
- Discover Fooby’s delicious Easter recipes.
Exercise and Sport Activities
- 30 minutes of yoga for kids.
- Try Tai Chi for beginners at home.
- Download the Nike Training Club App in order to have access to a large amount of workouts.
- Adopting a grandparent is now possible. Share your stories with them, have a chat, send nice poems and put a smile on their faces.
- Become a UN volunteer! 100 opportunities open for high school students and parents.
- Help people locally, you can now sign up to become a Bénévolat (volunteer) for the community in Vaud.
Travel and Explore from your Home
- Plan a virtual visit to the Metropolitan Opera and enjoy an amazing experience.
- Have you always wanted to visit The Louvre, Paris? You can do so now from your home.
- Go on a virtual dive, see coral, swim with seals, and explore the underwater world here.
- Visit one National Park per day. Take your families along for a virtual tour of one of five inspiring national parks in the USA.
- Are you a big fan of zoos? Spend some time this holiday to go visit zoos from all over the world.
- Pick a recipe here, and have your children cook for you during the holidays.
- Do you want to make sure to remember all your great recipes? Create your family recipe book.
- Become a Chef by watching cooking tutorials, tips & tricks here.
Learn Something New
- Take free online classes by Nikon, learn how to use your camera, how to take beautiful photos or explore the art of making music videos.
- Science at home, brought to you by the EPFL. All types of activities for you and your families to complete.
Have a look at our Life at Home with Kids page on the ISL website for many more links. Here you will find lists of activities for at home, local activities, French activities and much more.
Happy Easter! Enjoy your holidays and if you would like to share any tips, resources, recommendations, videos or photos, please write to us.