The International School of Lausanne (ISL) is a leading non-profit, International Baccalaureate (IB) World School set in the French-speaking part of Switzerland. Our school is committed to excellence in education. We strive to recognise the unique potential of each student, and to equip them to play an active and responsible role in a complex, multicultural world. The school employs approximately 250 members of staff on its campus where we welcome approximately 900 students from over 60 nationalities, from 3 to 18 years of age.
We are seeking to appoint a structured, highly organised and efficient
Head of Operations (100%)
The Head of Operations is responsible for ensuring the smooth running of operational activities related to facility management, purchasing, cafeteria, school reception, transportation, school-related travel and excursions. They manage a team of approximately 12 staff members, and work with a wide variety of stakeholders across the School, including parents, academic staff and external parties.
The Head of Operations reports to the Director and is a member of the senior leadership team.
- Work with the senior leadership teams to develop and implement short, medium and long-term operational strategies for the School.
- Ensure an efficient and smooth running of daily operations (budget CHF 1.6 million) to maintain ISL in a leading position.
- Provide vision, leadership and support to team members in order to build high-performing operational teams that collaborate with departments across the School.
- Identify the skills required for effective team functioning and fill any gaps through coaching, mentoring, and professional development.
- Review and streamline processes, tools, and policies to maintain the most efficient and effective back-office operations possible; establish a culture of service and continuous improvement.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for services such as student transportation and cafeteria; manage contracts with third-party service providers.
- In close collaboration with the Facility Manager, develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure efficient and effective use of school facilities while ensuring full compliance with safety standards.
- Implement the School’s environmental strategy.
- Contribute to and help create a culture in the School that values and prioritises the development and wellbeing of each member of the community.
- Ensure that all school communications relating to operations meet the highest standards of accuracy, timeliness and relevancy.
- Degree in Hospitality Management or similar background/ experience
- A minimum of 8-10 years of experience
- A successful leadership experience in an international environment
- High level of cultural awareness and international mindedness
- Ability to think strategically and to plan effectively
- Well-organised, reliable, pragmatic, and action-oriented
- Customer focused with the ability to adapt to different situations or circumstances, and build partnerships at all levels of the organisation
- Team player with excellent communication skills (oral and written) combined with ability to work independently
- Full proficiency in both French and English
- Ability to handle complex and difficult situations with sensitivity, thought and confidence
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, set priorities and be flexible with changing priorities
- Commitment to self-reflection and professional development
What we offer:
- A truly international and dynamic work environment
- A modern and spacious campus
- Free well-being / sport activities and language courses
- Fresh and healthy menus from our cafeteria at reasonable prices
- 30 days of holidays
Are you interested?
To apply please submit the following documents on JobUp:
- cover letter
- résumé/ CV
- copies of diplomas
- copies of work certificates/ reference letters (if any)
- copy of work permit (if applicable)
Due to work permit limitations, preference will be given to candidates having a Swiss / EU citizenship or holding a Swiss work permit.
We care for children
The International School of Lausanne is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all of its staff to share this commitment. A background check, including criminal records check and/ or police clearance, will be conducted on all successful applicants.
We value diversity
At ISL, all members of our community contribute to creating an environment where diversity is valued. Each individual is committed to ensuring everyone has a strong sense of belonging and feels respected.